so i don't know if you know BUT i LOVE molly yeh. i discovered her food blog back in 2014 and after reading countless posts molly is actually why i created my website. she was the first food blogger i came across that i could relate to. her being half asian, funny and super creative was exciting to my 24 year old self. if you have not been to her blog or instagram and you LOVE food just like me, you must check her out. CLICKHEREYESHERE
anywho, a few weeks ago my friend paige sent me this recipe for the "most delicious meal she has ever made". clicking the link, i saw that the original recipe was created by MUH GURL molly. (wishing she was actually muh girl, but shh you get it).
today, finally i got over the fact that i had no idea what garam masala even was...bought some (located at your local grocery store in the spice section), and BOOM 40 minutes later i had the most delicious meal paige and now myself have ever made. it was full of flavor, had great texture, a little heat, and with the cool yogurt it brought it all together.
it was especially nice because juicy (my boyfriend/cute bearded artist man/real name justin) has a nut allergy, so we stay away from asian restaurants to avoid the dreaded epi-pen. NOW we can have date nights at home and pretend we are eating at a five-ish star spot without being scared of "poison" (what we call nuts). only bummer, was that i should have doubled the recipe. it was KILLER. thank you molly yeh for being adorable, talented and my most inspiring pretend friend. -skylarbryce
ps make these! you can find the recipe in mollys beautiful cookbook "molly on the range" or here is the RECIPE by love and lemons, or below i changed it a tad to keep it simple.
- used yogurt instead of tahini (because i always have greek yogurt in my fridge)
- did not make the zhoug (parsley cilantro mixture)
molly yeh's cauliflower shawarma tacos
serves 2 (very hungry people) or 4
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons vegetable broth
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 flour tortillas
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (for topping)
- ¼ cup tahini or greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper
- make the tahini/yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the tahini or yogurt, water and lemon juice until the mixture thickens. season with salt and pepper to taste.
- make the tacos: Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- in a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, salt, garam masala, curry powder, and broth. add the cauliflower and toss to coat. spread the cauliflower onto the baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy, 30 minutes.
- thinly slice half an onion. in a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes.
- warm the tortillas. assemble the tacos with cauliflower, fried onions, yogurt sauce, cilantro.
eat your hearts out